CONTEXT: The Scheme for PMKSY-HKKP was valid till March, 2021. The extension of the scheme for the period 2021-26 is under consideration of the Government. The targets for this period shall be firmed up based on approval of the scheme for the period 2021-26.
- Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) was launched in 2015-16 with an aim to enhance physical access of water on farm, expand cultivable area under assured irrigation, improve on farm water use efficiency, introduce sustainable water conservation practices, etc.
- Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP) is one of the components of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY).
- Under HKKP, financial assistance is being provided by this Ministry under Command Area Development and Water Management (CADWM); Surface Minor Irrigation (SMI); Repair, Renovation and Restoration (RRR) of Water Bodies; and Ground Water components.
- CADWM Programme aims for improving water use efficiency in irrigation, providing assured supply of water to every farm field, and transfer of control and management of irrigation system to the Water Users’ Associations (WUAs).
- SMI and RRR of water bodies schemes mainly aims at expanding cultivable area under assured irrigation along with other objectives like improving water use efficiency, Ground Water recharge, improvement and restoration of water bodies. Through these measures, increasing tank storage capacity, revival of lost irrigation potential, increased availability of drinking water, improvement of catchment of tank commands etc. are targeted.
- The Ground Water scheme under PMKSY-HKKP aims to provide financial assistance to States for assured ground water irrigation to small and marginal farmers. State-wise progress made by this Ministry under this component during last two years.
Reference: PIBSpread the Word