TAG: GS 3: ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENT
THE CONTEXT: The completion of 18 years by the Sloth Bear Rescue Centre at Bannerghatta National Park (BNP) in Karnataka marks a significant milestone in the conservation efforts and facilities provided for sloth bears.
EVOLUTION OF THE CENTRE:
- Growth and Development:
- Initially starting with just two buildings, the facility has expanded significantly, now comprising five large separate enclosures.
- It has advanced infrastructure, including a state-of-the-art operation theatre and an eco-friendly bear kitchen operated using biomass-based cooking stoves.
- Sustainability Initiatives:
- The centre’s focus on sustainability is evident from being the first fully solar-powered rescue centre in its organization.
- Adoption of solar power not only aligns with eco-friendly practices but also reduces operational costs, showcasing a commitment to environmental conservation.
OUTREACH AND AWARENESS PROGRAMS:
- Engagement Strategies:
- Recognizing the importance of raising awareness about sloth bear conservation, the centre emphasizes outreach programs.
- Activities include corporate partnerships, celebrity visits, and an active volunteering program aimed at engaging people directly in bear care and conservation efforts.
- Benefits of Volunteer Participation:
- Volunteers and participants directly contribute their time toward the care and wellbeing of rescued bears, enhancing the hands-on care provided to the animals.
- This active involvement of volunteers not only benefits the bears but also fosters a sense of ownership and responsibility towards wildlife conservation among participants.
TESTIMONIAL AND FUTURE DIRECTIONS:
- Center’s Achievements:
- The unique aspects of the Bannerghatta rescue centre’s journey and its evolution into a sustainable have been highlighted.
- The integration of solar panels, an eco-friendly kitchen, and a commitment to energy efficiency showcases the center’s emphasis on sustainability and responsible operational practices.
- The completion of 18 years by the Sloth Bear Rescue Centre at Bannerghatta National Park represents an impactful journey towards bear conservation and welfare.
- The center’s evolution into a sustainable and environmentally conscious facility, along with its innovative outreach strategies, signifies a holistic approach to wildlife conservation.
- The active involvement of various stakeholders, including volunteers, corporations, and celebrities, underscores the collaborative effort in protecting and preserving sloth bears and their habitat.