CONTEXT: Researchers from University of Delhi have named a newly-discovered frog species after former vice chancellor and renowned plant geneticist Prof. Deepak Pental.
- The newly-discovered species, named Minervarya Pentali, is endemic to the southern Western Ghats.
- It is also known as false Malabar gliding frog or false Malabar tree frog.
- Habitat in two protected areas, Indira Gandhi National Park and Parambikulam Tiger Reserve.
- IUCN Conservation status: Critically endangered
- Threats: Habitat loss due to clearing of land for cardamom plantations and timber harvesting.
Reference: The HinduSpread the Word