THE CONTEXT: Ministry of Development of North-East Region (Min of DoNER) along with other departments have under taken various developmental programmes for the NER.
- For the current financial year (2021-22), an amount of Rs 68020 crore has been earmarked by 54 Ministries/Departments at the Budget Estimates (BE) stage for North Eastern Region.
- During the FY 2020-21, Government announced a special economic and comprehensive package, which included Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) and three Atma Nirbhar Bharat (ANB) packages to combat the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic and to revive economic growth.
- The Union Budget 2021-22 also announced increase in investment in Health Infrastructure, Mega Investment Textiles Parks (MITRA), enhancing agricultural credit and infrastructure funds, additional budget allocation to MSME Sector etc.
- Further, in June, 2021, Government announced a relief package of Rs 6.29 lakh crore comprising of 17 measures to support the Indian economy in its fight against the second wave of COVID-19 pandemic.
- Many of these programmes and policies will benefit the North Eastern Region as well.
SPECIFIC INITIATIVES OF THE MIN OF DoNER
- The Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region/ North Eastern Council sanctioned untied funds amounting to Rs. 26.09 crore to combat COVID-19 pandemic in 8 NER States.
- Projects worth Rs. 36.50 crore have also been sanctioned to North Eastern Region States for livelihood generation for returnee migrant worker due to COVID-19.
- Eleven projects amounting to Rs. 313.98 crore have been sanctioned by the Ministry of DoNER under the North East Special Infrastructure Development Scheme (NESIDS) for strengthening health infrastructure of North Eastern States, especially for fighting COVID-19 pandemic.
- During 2020-21, Rs. 322.89 crore was released to the North Eastern States towards the India COVID-19 Emergency Response and Health System Preparedness Packages through National Health Mission (NHM).
- During 2019-20, an amount of Rs 111.34 crore was released to North Eastern States under National Health Mission.
- For the containment measures allowed under SDRF, State Government were allowed to spend upto 35% of the annual allocation of SDRF during the financial year 2019-20.
- The ceiling of 35% was further enhanced to 50% during the financial year 2020-21 and 2021-22.
NOTE: THE ABOVE WRITE UP PROVIDES A READY MADE ANSWER FOR THE GOVERNMENT’S EFFORTS FOR DEVELOPMENT OF NER. GRANULAR DATA IS PROVIDED TO UNDERSTAND THE CONTEXT ONLY.Spread the Word