THE CONTEXT: The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of an Integrated Multi-purpose infrastructure Development Corporation for the Union Territory of Ladakh
- It is a new establishment. Presently, there is no such similar organization within the newly formed UT of Ladakh.
- The approval has an inherent potential for employment generation as the corporation will be undertaking various kinds of developmental activities.
- Corporation will work for industry, tourism, transport and marketing of local products and handicraft.
- Corporation will also work as main construction agency for infrastructure development in Ladakh.
- The establishment of corporation will result in inclusive and integrated development of the Union Territory of Ladakh.
- This will, in turn, ensure socio-economic development of the entire region and population of the Union Territory.
- The erstwhile State of Jammu and Kashmir has been re organised as per the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019.
- On this basis, the Union Territory of Ladakh (without Legislature) came into existence on 31.10.2019