TAG: GS 3: ENVIRONMENT
THE CONTEXT: The black-spotted croaker, or the ghol fish, considered a fisherman’s lottery. It was declared the state fish of Gujarat on 21st November.
ABOUT GHOL FISH:
- Ghol fish, biologically known as ‘Protonibea Diacanthus’ and commonly called the black-spotted croaker fish, is an exotic specimen.
- It is and prized in east Asia for its medicinal properties.
- Ghol fish is loaded with rich nutrients (Iodine, Omega-3, DHA, EPA, Iron, Taurine, magnesium, F0luoride and Selenium).
- Fish has potent medicinal properties and has a high valuation in the overseas market, so it is also called ‘Sea Gold’.
- The fish is usually found in the Indo-Pacific region that stretches from the Persian Gulf to the Pacific Ocean.
- Ghol fish is one of the most expensive marine fish in the world.
- However, the levels of pollution have shifted these fishes from the shore to deep sea.
- The length of the Ghol fish is around one-and-a-half meters.
BENEFITS OF GHOL FISH:
Good for eye health: This fish contains many vitamins, minerals, proteins, which helps in maintaining eyesight.
Prevent ageing and wrinkles: The collagen content in the Ghol fish prevents wrinkles and also keeps the elasticity of the skin intact.
Improves IQ of infants: Omega-3 content in it improves IQ of infants if fed on a regular basis – it stimulates the growth of brain cells.
Toning muscles: The black-spotted croaker is one fish that has tremendous benefits for toning muscles because of various minerals and vitamins. It provides Vitamin C that is required for collagen and elastin synthesis which has helps to supply essentials nutrients to the muscles.
WHY WAS THE GHOL FISH CHOSEN?
- The Gujarat government chose the Ghol Fish because of its economic value and its uniqueness.
- According to officials, the declaration will enable Gujarat to be a part of its conservation efforts.
- There is need to conserve it and prevent it from over-exploitation.
WHICH OTHER SPECIES WERE IN THE FRAY?
- Selecting a state fish is a consultative process with representatives of all the districts.
- Ribbon fish, pomfret, and Bombay Duck were the other species that were considered for designation as state fish.
WHAT IS THE COMMERCIAL IMPORTANCE OF THIS FISH SPECIES?
- Being an expensive fish, the local consumption of this variety is not widely heard, But the fish has a huge market in China and other countries.
- The fish is actually a lottery for fishermen who manage to net it.
- The fish is not only tasty, it is considered a delicacy in many countries. In others, it is used for medicinal purposes.
- The meat of the fish is exported as frozen fillet or whole fish to European and Middle Eastern countries.
- Its air bladder — which is cut open from the stomach and dried — is mainly exported to China, Hong Kong and other Asian countries where it is in high demand for its medicinal values.
HOW MUCH FISH DOES GUJARAT EXPORT?
- During the year 2021-22, the total fish production of Gujarat was estimated at 8.74 lakh tonne, worth Rs 11,221 crore.
- Of this, 2.3 lakh tonne of fish and fish products worth Rs 5,233 crore were exported.