(Newspapers, PIB and other important sources)
Prelim and Main
- Govt. releases drone map for users READ MORE
- Medical device parks’ scheme notified READ MORE
- China’s central bank declares all cryptocurrency transactions illegal READ MORE
- Quixplained: What is China’s Evergrande crisis READ MORE
- Bihar to start conservation programme for endangered blackbucks READ MORE
- WHO recommends antibody treatment for ‘high-risk’ Covid patients READ MORE
GS Paper- 2
POLITY AND GOVERNANCE
- 2021: Focus on the census, not caste READ MORE
- Only public pressure can bring police reforms now. Supreme Court order is gathering dust READ MORE
SOCIAL JUSTICE AND SOCIAL ISSUES
- Complex count: On caste census- A precise caste census is difficult, but the data will be useful to drive social policy READ MORE
- Building more inclusive, welcoming schools for LGBTQ+ children READ MORE
GS Paper- 3
- When global firms disengage, employment suffers: While inward FDI in India does create jobs, the magnitude and quality of job generation need scrutiny READ MORE
- The important issue of unemployment: India needs a national employment policy to meet the demand and supply of labour, maintain global labour standards and ensure basic rights to workers READ MORE
- Why India must strengthen its public sector READ MORE
ENVIRONMENT AND ECOLOGY
- A third of global cropland will be drought-hit by 2040 if emissions don’t stop: Report READ MORE
- EU’s troubling proposal for carbon neutrality READ MORE
- How the ‘Best Accidental Climate Treaty’ Stopped Runaway Climate Change READ MORE
GS Paper- 4
ETHICS EXAMPLES AND CASE STUDY
- Explained: Why Artificial Intelligence’s religious biases are worrying READ MORE
- Drop dogmas to make full use of the intellect READ MORE
- Focused and Resilient READ MORE
- Why Religion has no Place in Educational Institutes READ MORE
Questions for the MAIN exam
- FDI as a tool to augment domestic capital formation may be useful for the economy but not for sustainable employment. Discuss with suitable examples.
- How far do you agree with the view that Privatisation compromises India’s sovereignty and economic freedom, threatening its energy security and strategic posture? Analyse your view.
QUOTATIONS AND CAPTIONS
- Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it.
- While inward FDI in India does create jobs, the magnitude and quality of job generation need scrutiny.
- Growing scepticism towards more open trade policies and the rise of protectionism have increased the risk and unpredictability of policy environments, leading to deeper reflection on both existing and new investments by global firms.
- A caste census may not sit well with the goal of a casteless society, but it may serve, in the interim, as a useful, even if not entirely flawless, means of addressing inequities in society.
- If we want to herald the advent of the golden dawn, we will have to bring about all-around emancipation of the human intellect through a relentless struggle against dogmas, backed by unlimited, uninhibited courage.
- Administering justice is so essential that the courts could not remain closed for a substantial period of time.
- An announcement meant to create ripples in the Indo-Pacific has created waves across the Atlantic. But this gives France and India an opportunity.
- There is a need for our think on the significance to be attached to local and regional developmental processes. More than language or ethnicity need to be factored into the situation, requiring greater insight and analysis.
- India needs a national employment policy to meet the demand and supply of labour, maintain global labour standards and ensure basic rights to workers.
- Indian citizens have a crucial role in the actualization of police reforms. After all, in a democracy, the people’s voice holds the strongest power.
- In the absence of public pressure, the political class can easily afford to ignore the cause of police reform, which, in any case, suits their vested interest. Therefore, there is a dire need for the citizenry to rise up and build pressure on powers-that-be.
- Before teaching religious texts in schools or colleges, we must remember that religious and scientific consciousness cannot converge.
- Assuring ourselves cleaner air is a matter of top urgency. Once-smog-laden big cities like Beijing managed to clean up. Delhi, in particular, still has a very long way to go.
- Comprehensive sex education must support young lives in exploring sexualities rather than viewing homosexuality as a disease or disorder, with age appropriate-learning to reduce high-risk behaviours.
- The Modi government’s reluctance to hold a caste census shows it’s politically inflammable. It can trigger socio-political churn, reopen political fault lines and even sharpen caste divides. However, it is a necessary evil. Credible and current empirical data is critical as long as caste is a factor in affirmative policy interventions.
- To put a price on a person’s life is odious. So, Rs 50,000 compensation for those who died of Covid-19 is too little and can even offend many. The pandemic couldn’t be avoided, but not ill-preparedness and mismanagement. The governments are wiser to invest the money in health infrastructure instead. Administering justice is so essential that the courts could not remain closed for a substantial period of time.
Things to Remember:
- For prelims-related news try to understand the context of the news and relate with its concepts so that it will be easier for you to answer (or eliminate) from given options.
- Whenever any international place will be in news, you should do map work (marking those areas in maps and also exploring other geographical locations nearby including mountains, rivers, etc. same applies to the national places.)
- For economy-related news (banking, agriculture, etc.) you should focus on terms and how these are related to various economic aspects, for example, if inflation has been mentioned, try to relate with prevailing price rises, shortage of essential supplies, banking rates, etc.
- For main exam-related topics, you should focus on the various dimensions of the given topic, the most important topics which occur frequently and are important from the mains point of view will be covered in ED.
- Try to use the given content in your answer. Regular use of this content will bring more enrichment to your writing.