INDIAN POLITY, GOVERNANCE AND SOCIAL JUSTICE
THE CONTEXT: Project Fulwari under Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav to Strengthen Northern Coalfields’ Limited (NCL)fight against Malnutrition in kids.
- Considering the facts found during the National Family Health Survey (NFHS-4) regarding malnutrition in Singrauli district, NCL has signed an MoU with the District Administration, to start Project Fulwari.
- The mission aims to address the problem of malnutrition and associated physical and mental development issues of infants.
- At Fulwari Centers, the identified malnourished children are getting special attention to ensure that their weight, physical and mental progress meets the normal standards.
- This initiative will give impetus to the Centre’s fight against malnutrition and its commitment towards Sustainable Social Development.
MOU SIGNED BETWEEN TRIFED AND BIG BASKET
THE CONTEXT: TRIBES INDIA VAN DHAN to expand Online marketing in a big way by tying up with Big Basket, MoU Signed between TRIFED and Big Basket.
- The MoU between TRIFED and Big Basket was signed for promotion and sale of Organics, natural Van Dhan products and TRIFOOD products.
- MoU between TRIFED and Purty Agrotech was signed in order to promote the art of growing pearls among other tribal entrepreneurs.
- TRIFED is continuing to forge partnerships with different organisations to create synergies together, as a part of its ongoing efforts to improve the lives and livelihoods of the tribals and tribal empowerment.
ENVIRONMENT, GEOGRAPHY AND AGRICULTURE
WESTERN GHATS OFFER MAJOR ADDITIONS TO NEW FLORA
THE CONTEXT: The Botanical Survey of India, in its new publication Plant Discoveries 2020 has added 267 new taxa/species to the country’s flora.
- In 2020, 202 new plant species were discovered across the country and 65 new records were added.
- Among the new discoveries this year, nine new species of balsam (Impatiens) and one species of wild banana (Musa pradhanii) were discovered from Darjeeling and one species each of wild Jamun (Syzygium anamalaianum) from Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.
- An assessment of the geographical distribution of these newly discovered plants reveals that 22% of the discoveries were made from the Western Ghats followed by the Western Himalayas (15%), the Eastern Himalayas (14%) and the Northeast ranges (12%).
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
GLOBAL INNOVATION INDEX 2021
THE CONTEXT: India scores 46th rank in the Global Innovation Index 2021.
- India has climbed 2 spots and has been ranked 46th by the World Intellectual Property Organization in the Global Innovation Index 2021 rankings.
- India has been on a rising trajectory, over the past several years in the Global Innovation Index (GII), from a rank of 81 in 2015 to46in 2021.
- The NITI Aayog has been working tirelessly to ensure the optimization of the national efforts for bringing policy led innovation in different areas such as electric vehicles, biotechnology, nanotechnology, space, alternative energy sources, etc.
- The GII is the fulcrum for the governments – across the world – to assess the social and economic changes in their respective countries.
- Over the years, the GII has established itself as a policy tool for various governments and helped them to reflect upon the existing status quo.
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has also been leading from the front as a torchbearer of India’s journey towards an innovation-driven economy.
- This year, the NITI Aayog, in partnership with the CII and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO), is hosting, virtually, the India Launch of the GII and the Global Innovation Conclave during September 21-22,2021.
INDIA TO RESUME COVID-19 VACCINE EXPORTS NEXT MONTH
THE CONTEXT: India will resume the export of COVID-19 vaccines under its ‘Vaccine Maitri’programme to fulfil the commitment towards COVAX (COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access).
- COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access, abbreviated as COVAX, is a worldwide initiative aimed at equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines directed by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance (Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization, or GAVI), the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- It is one of the three pillars of ’Access to COVID-19 Tools Accelerator’, an initiative begun in April 2020 by the WHO, the European Commission, and government of France as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
THE CONTEXT: Indian navy and Indonesian navy participate in exercise ‘Samudra shakti’.
- Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt arrived at Jakarta, Indonesia on 18 Sep 21 to participate in the 3rd edition of Bilateral Exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ with the Indonesian Navy scheduled off the approaches to Sunda Strait from 20 Sep to 22 Sep 21.
- The exercise aims to strengthen the bilateral relationship, enhance mutual understanding and interoperability in maritime operations between the two navies.
- The exercise will also provide an appropriate platform to share best practices and develop a common understanding of Maritime Security Operations.
- In pursuance of India’s Act East Policy, Exercise ‘Samudra Shakti’ was conceived in 2018 as a bilateral IN-IDN exercise.
THE CONTEXT: The 15th India-Nepal combined battalion-level military training exercise ‘SURYA KIRAN’ commenced at Pithoragarh (UK).
- During the exercise, an Infantry Battalion each from the Indian Army and the Nepali Army will be training together to develop interoperability and share their experience of counter-terrorism operations and disaster relief operations.
PEACEFUL MISSION – 2021
THE CONTEXT: 6th edition of SCO exercise “peaceful mission – 2021” commences at Orenburg, Russia.
- The aim of the exercise is to foster close relations between the SCO Member States and to enhance the abilities of the military leaders to command multinational military contingents.
- An Indian military contingent comprising of an all arms combined force of 200 personnel from the Indian Army and Indian Air force is participating in the exercise.
- The Exercise Peaceful Mission: 2021 is based on joint counter-terrorism operations at operational and tactical levels in an urban environment in which Armies and Air Forces of all SCO member states are participating.
- Over the next few days, troops will train, share and rehearse tactical drills which will culminate in a final validation exercise, where-in troops from all Armies and Air Forces will jointly undertake operations in a controlled and simulated environment.
PRELIMS PRACTICE QUESTIONS
COVAX initiative is started for equitable access of COVID-19 vaccines to all countries. This initiative is led by which of the following?
- World Bank
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
a) 1 and 4 only
b) 1, 2 and 4 only
c) 1, 3 and 4 only
d) All of them
ANSWER FOR SEPTEMBER 20, 2021 PRELIMS PRACTICE QUESTIONS (REFER TO RELEVANT ARTICLE)
A variant of HELINA (Helicopter based NAG) Weapon System called DHRUVASTRA is being inducted into the Indian Air Force (IAF).Spread the Word