Table of Contents
(Newspapers, PIB and other important sources)
Prelim and Main
- Cabinet approves implementation of National Mission on Edible Oils – Oil Palm READ MORE
- Explained: Nuclear fusion and the recent breakthrough READ MORE
- New Study Suggests Indus Valley People Spoke Ancestral Dravidian Language READ MORE
- HDFC can now issue new credit cards as RBI eases ban after 8 months READ MORE
- Supreme Court allows women candidates to appear for UPSC NDA exam READ MORE
- China unveils new rules targeting anticompetitive practices by internet companies READ MORE
GS Paper- 1
- Bairagis: The tradition of saint-warriors in India READ MORE
- Caste census can change social equations READ MORE
GS Paper- 2
POLITY AND GOVERNANCE
- The police we need: India requires a police force that is responsive and respected and not one that is feared, as is the case today READ MORE
- How can we guarantee the Speaker’s impartiality? READ MORE
- Supreme Court: Bridge the gender gap READ MORE
- Odisha health plan a step in the right direction READ MORE
- Choice matters: The Bombay HC has allowed a case of abortion, according to priority to the mother’s mental health READ MORE
SOCIAL JUSTICE AND SOCIAL ISSUES
- Domestic Violence as the Shadow Pandemic: INDIRA JAISING takes a look at the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on domestic violence. READ MORE
- India at the UNSC READ MORE
- Did India rely too much on the US? Taliban siege of Kabul is affecting our regional power status READ MORE
GS Paper- 3
- A delayed intervention: With global demand booming, the Centre must act faster to rev up export growth engine READ MORE
- So where has all the money gone? READ MORE
- Beyond bank accounts: Protect investor confidence to increase financial inclusion READ MORE
- Flaws in farm insurance: Response to PMFBY remains underwhelming READ MORE
ENVIRONMENT AND ECOLOGY
- Pineapple agroforestry can help tackle climate change, biodiversity loss: Study READ MORE
- India Ratifies Kigali Amendment to Montreal Protocol, to Phase Out HFCs READ MORE
- COP15: After Delays, UN Biodiversity Agreement Expected Next Year READ MORE
GS Paper- 4
ETHICS EXAMPLES AND CASE STUDY
- Why we watch sport: When our support turns into tribalism, we relinquish the most cherished principles that inhere in sport READ MORE
- Who decides what is bad and what is good? READ MORE
- Scientific thinking & all that goes with it READ MORE
Questions for MAIN exam
- Discuss the ethical issues in the sports sector in India. According to you, what is the true value of sport?
- How far do you agree with the view that it should be made mandatory that the Speaker ought to resign from his party and his sole allegiance must be to the Constitution and to maintaining the dignity of the House? Justify your statement in light of the recently concluded Monsoon session.
- ‘Sage-warriors in Mughal and British India gave a new dimension to ‘Ahimsa’ by training to use weapons to protect temples and monasteries’. Comment.
QUOTATIONS AND CAPTIONS
- India requires a police force that is responsive and respected and not one that is feared, as is the case today.
- Either allow Parliament and state legislatures to descend into terminal decline or make the Speaker truly independent and let every legislature perform its constitutional function.
- Once a person is elected Speaker, he is expected to be above parties, above politics. In other words, he belongs to all the members or belongs to none. He holds the scales of justice evenly, irrespective of party or person.
- It should be made mandatory that the Speaker ought to resign from his party and his sole allegiance must be to the Constitution and to maintaining the dignity of the House.
- The separation of powers is part of the basic structure of our Constitution. If Parliament ceases to be relevant, the foundation of our democracy will progressively get weaker.
- In the Lok Sabha, as in the United Kingdom, the Speaker is the supreme authority; he has vast powers and it is his primary duty to ensure the orderly conduct of the business of the House.
- India has settled its maritime disputes with virtually all its neighbors, with only its maritime boundary with Pakistan yet to be demarcated.
- While India need not publicly allude to such exchanges with ASEAN, it should, as a member of Quad, be prepared to have these issues taken up by Quad members at meetings with their ASEAN dialogue partners.
- Sage-warriors in Mughal and British India gave a new dimension to ‘Ahimsa’ by training to use weapons to protect temples and monasteries
- The Supreme Court allowing women to take the NDA entrance exam is another good nudge to the armed forces to get proactive and include more women. However, there are logistical and operational issues that cannot be ignored. The government should work with the court on timelines and ensure smooth implementation.
- The Taliban’s press conference, allowing women to work, not insisting on burkha, and amusement park ride videos aren’t enough to amuse us. It has come to power illegitimately. It is too soon to give this Islamist terror outfit a soft landing. Wait a few months to judge its real colors.
Things to Remember:
- For prelims-related news try to understand the context of the news and relate with its concepts so that it will be easier for you to answer (or eliminate) from given options.
- Whenever any international place will be in news, you should do map work (marking those areas in maps and also exploring other geographical locations nearby including mountains, rivers, etc. same applies to the national places.)
- For economy-related news (banking, agriculture, etc.) you should focus on terms and how these are related to various economic aspects, for example, if inflation has been mentioned, try to relate with prevailing price rises, shortage of essential supplies, banking rates, etc.
- For main exam-related topics, you should focus on the various dimensions of the given topic, the most important topics which occur frequently and are important from the mains point of view will be covered in ED.
- Try to use the given content in your answer. Regular use of this content will bring more enrichment to your writing.