CONTEXT: The Government, under the Sub Mission on National Food Security Mission (NFSM) – Nutri Cereals is creating awareness among farmers for Nutri Cereals (Millets) such as ragi, sorghum, bajra and small millets through demonstration and training.
- Under NFSM–Nutri Cereals, incentives are provided to the farmers, through the state governments, on crop production and protection technologies, cropping system based demonstrations, production & distribution of seeds of newly released varieties/ hybrids, Integrated Nutrient and Pest Management techniques, improved farm implements/tools/ resource conservation machineries, water saving devices, capacity building of farmers through trainings during cropping season, organizing events / workshops, distribution of seed minikits, publicity through print and electronic media etc.
- The interventions such as formation of Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) for Nutri Cereals, setting up Centers of Excellence (CoE) and seed hubs for Nutri Cereals have also been supported under NFSM.
- The Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare also provides support to the States under a Centrally Sponsored Scheme “Support to State Extension Programme for Extension Reforms” , different extension activities like Farmers’ Training, Exposure visits, Demonstrations, Kisan meals, Kisan Ghostie, farmers – Scientists – Interaction, Mobilization of Farmers Interest Groups and setting up of Farm Schools in the field of awardee / progressive farmers are implementation to promote modern agriculture technologies including Millets cultivation.
- The States can promote Nutri Cereals (Millets) under Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana (RKVY), Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana (PKVY) and Mission Organic Value Chain Development for North Eastern Region (MOVCDNER).
- Under All India Coordinated Research Project (AICRP) on Small millets, Sorghum and Pearl millet, Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) provides support to 45 collaborating Centers located in different State Agricultural Universities (SAUs) and ICAR Institutes for development of new varieties / hybrids of nutri cereals (millets).
Reference: PIBSpread the Word