CONTEXT: Half of 2,200 crore allotted for completing ongoing MPLADS projects in 2020-21 lapsed, as the Finance Ministry granted barely a week to the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI) to release the funds.
- Each MP is granted 5 crore under the scheme, adding up to 3,950 crore rupees a year for 790 MPs, to undertake development projects in their respective constituencies.
- The Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) is the nodal department responsible for policy formulation and release of funds.
- The district authorities are responsible for work scrutiny, cost estimation, identification of the implementing agency, and transfer of funds.
- The funds are non-lapsable and can be carried forward.
- MP should recommend work annually.
- At least 15 percent of the MPLADS entitlement for areas inhabited by Scheduled Caste population and 7.5 percent for areas inhabited by the ST population.
- Nominated Members of both the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha can recommend works anywhere in the country.
- The Government of India releases an annual entitlement of Rs. 5 crores in two equal installments.
- This amount is given to the District Authority of the Nodal District selected by the concerned MP.
Reference: The HinduSpread the Word