THE CONTEXT: Kandla SEZ has become the First Green SEZ to achieve the IGBC Green Cities Platinum Rating for Existing Cities.
- IGBC Platinum rating has been awarded for ‘Green master planning, policy initiatives and implementation of green infrastructure’ by CII’s Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).
- The efforts of KASEZ is noteworthy especially because of the fact that this was accomplished in Bhuj region where water conservation and afforestation are critical interventions.
- The recognition will pave way for all the other SEZs in the country to emulate the green initiative and efforts of Kandla SEZ.
ABOUT INDIAN GREEN BUILDING COUNCIL
- The Indian Green Building Council (IGBC), part of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) was formed in the year 2001.
- The vision of the council is, “To enable a sustainable built environment for all and facilitate India to be one of the global leaders in the sustainable built environment by 2025”.
- The council offers a wide array of services which include developing new green building rating programmes, certification services and green building training programmes.
- The council also organises Green Building Congress, its annual flagship event on green buildings